Marquette Moves Into 2nd In NCHL

December 11th, 2017

Original Post from NCHL website:


A new team now occupies second place in the conference standings. #23 Marquette University’s sweep of Northern Michigan University helped them to leapfrog both #3 Marian University and #22 DePaul University by one point for the second position. Unfortunately for NMU they have now been mathematically eliminated from the conference tournament as a result of being swept. St. Mary’s University of MN held steady in fifth place as a result of their series split with Lewis University, while Lewis moved up one spot into a tie for eighth. Robert Morris University – Maroon took the second game of their series between the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh behind a stellar powerplay, going four for four, and now these two teams are tied for sixth place.


There is still a lot of potential volatility in the conference standings as there is only a three point difference between second and the tie for sixth place and each of the six teams occupying those spots has a minimum of four conference games remaining. It will be a fight to the end for each team to grab the best possible spot before hopefully heading to the conference tournament.


Northern Michigan University v. #23 Marquette University:


#23 Marquette University showed no ill effects after their nearly five hour trip up to Marquette, MI to take on Northern Michigan University, scoring 59 seconds into the opening stanza. Getting the scoring started for Marquette was Michael Desalvo, assisted by Brian Kennedy. Marquette made the score 2-0 at the 16:40 mark when Conor Coyne, assisted by RJ Deneweth and Adam Gesior, found the back of the net. As the teams went to their respective locker rooms for the first intermission Marquette held a 2-0 lead.


Period two saw Marquette strike early as well when Marquette’s third goal of the night was scored by Justin Klatt, assisted by Ethan Stoudt, at 1:12. The lead increase to four 2:11 later off the stick of Matthew Mogensen, with an assist credited to Desalvo. The rest of the period would be played scoreless and after two periods of play Marquette was in charge 4-0.


The first two plus minutes of the third period saw a flurry of action and goals by both teams. Marquette struck first, scoring 34 seconds in. Credited with Marquette’s fifth goal on the night was Coyne, unassisted. NMU finally got on the board 13 seconds later when Max Gruzdev, assisted by Justin Pantle and Eric Farley, put one past Marquette goaltender Jim Bertane. Klatt answered 57 later with his second goal of the night, assisted by Drew Cassidy and Teddy Apap, making the score 6-1. Only 32 seconds elapsed after Klatt’s goal before Gruzdev, assisted by Eric Farley and Alexander Svoboda, notched his second goal of the period. Marquette put the game out of reach when Kennedy scored, assisted by Deneweth. Klatt finished off the hat trick, making the score 8-2, at the 16:45 mark, credited with an assist was Cassidy. The final goal of the night tickled the twine at 17:10 and was scored by Marquette’s Eric Plotz, assisted by Deneweth and Coyne. As the horn sounded the end of regulation time, Marquette emerged with a 9-2 victory.


Earning the victory for Marquette was Jim Bertane, turning away 26 of 28 shots on net. In a losing effort Zach Kooi stopped 42 of the 51 shots Marquette put on net.


Marquette struck first in game two off the stick of Brian Kennedy, assisted by Matthew Mogensen, at 5:42. NMU would not have to wait till the third period to notch their first goal as in game one, tying the game up at the 18:17 mark. Scoring for NMU was Max Gruzdev, with assists by Eric Farley and Zach Kooi. At the end of the first period the game was tied 1-1 despite Marquette holding a 23 to 8 shot advantage.


With five goals in the first six minutes of the second period Marquette took control of the game. Scoring at 1:04 was Conor Coyne, assisted by Marc Shipbaugh. Michael Desalvo, unassisted, made it a 3-1 game in favor of Marquette at 3:55. Twelve seconds later Teddy Apap, assisted by Eric Plotz, increased the lead to four. NMU got in on the goal scoring at 5:13, cutting the lead back down to three. Scoring for NMU was Alexander Svoboda, assisted by Wesley Zegan and Austin Schultz. Marquette would regain their four goal advantage ten seconds later when Adam Gesior found the back of the net. Apap finished the Marquette onslaught at 6:01 with his second goal of the period, credited with an assist was Desalvo. Zegan brought NMU back within three at the 13:17 mark, assisted by Gruzdev and Nolan Kremer. Heading into the second intermission Marquette held a 6-3 lead and an amazing 53 to 19 advantage in shots on goal.

The Golden Eagles of Marquette kept shooting in period three, finding the back of the net three more times. Finishing off the hat trick was Apap, assisted by Desalvo, at 3:56, increasing the lead to four. Justin Klatt scored his first goal of the night at 5:08, making the score 8-3. The last goal of the night came off of the stick of RJ Deneweth, assisted by Coyne, with 1:57 remaining in the game. After 60 minutes of play Marquette was victorious by a score of 9-3.


Credited with the win was Robert Arner; he turned away 25 of the 28 shots he faced. Absorbing the loss in a superhuman performance, stopping 77 of the 86 shots Marquette put on net, was Zach Kooi.


Marquette will resume play in January opening up the second semester against MSOE on January 21st @ 7:30.

« Back To Blog